Friday, September 2, 2016

The Snake & unintended irony



Image result for farmer & the viper


Fact:  For 20+ years, I have heartily disliked Hillary Rodham Clinton.  I came late to being a supporter.  

I was brought here by Donald John Trump.  One of the things that interests & scares the daylights out of me about DJT is his obvious lack of awareness in anything that doesn't touch Donald Trump.  This ruling quality lands him in interesting places & situations. 

Consider as the current story making the media rounds about him reciting at rallies Oscar Brown Jr's lyrics about a woman who, out of the tenderness of her heart, rescues & restores to health a frozen snake.  

In thanks for her efforts, the snake gives her a fatal bite.  When, in disbelief at the treachery, she asks why, the viper tells her, "You knew damn well I was a snake before you took me in."  


Image result for viper snake


Now, the tale is familiar to me, as it would be to my sibs, all of us being raised on Aesop's fables.  But to Donald Trump, this poem is a perfect allegory describing what we risk welcoming Syrian refugees. The unintended irony goes right over his head - the song is a perfect reflection of what to expect if America elects him president.  There will be no pivot to different behavior.  DJT will act as he always does, looking out for his interests rather than country's, let alone his followers' (to him, just another commodity), when he closes the deal & moves onto the next one, leaving them in shock & outrage.  

Just need to ever so lightly tweak that last line to yield the final irony - "You knew damn well I was a snake before you let me take you in."  


Image result for donald trump with baby 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment